About the role:
We are seeking a full-time Senior Polymer/Formulations Research Scientist with a comprehensive knowledge base to design molecular architecture and structure to target processing and properties for a broad range of polymers. Leverage existing technologies to advance our core businesses while supporting the development of new products and platforms. Bring your expertise and drive for development to collaborate across the organization to grow products from concept to commercialization. This is a hands-on position that will include all aspects of development and carrying out of experiments. This position will report to the R&D leader and to the Technical Director.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading projects which include raw material selection, design of experiments, evaluation and validation, scale-up and production process improvement, and troubleshooting, while being attentive to international and local regulatory requirements.
- Interfacing with the Technical Sales staff to help in resolving customer needs.
- Managing product life cycle.
- Develop mutually beneficial relationships with peers to ensure seamless coordination between departments, maximize synergy, and maintain a shared vision, strategy, and focus.
- Maintain a high level of awareness of current product and market trends to support product line growth and innovation.
Who We’re Looking For:
- Must have experience in formulation of additives and/or coatings for the plastics composite industry.
- Extensive involvement with industrial evaluation and usage of thermoplastics and thermosets.
- Hands-on skillset at the bench using instrumentation while formulating for specific surface properties, cross linking, miscibility, semi-permanent coatings, aqueous and emulsion systems.
- BS degree in Material Science or related field preferred. Candidates with other degrees with exceptional industrial accomplishments and experience will also be considered.
- Composites work experience either from a lab setting or from a manufacturing setting to help us interface between R&D to best design experiments to achieve a middle ground between limitations in the lab and the reality of our customer’s capabilities in production.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
The following credentials are a big plus:
- Ph.D. in Polymer Chemistry
- Practical polymer processing experience with the following: Brabender, rheometers, compounding, molding.
Competitive compensation and benefits package available commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience and potential contribution. This position is based in our Monroe, CT facility – no remote work options are available.
Axel Plastics Research Laboratories (AXEL) is a US-based manufacturer of mold release and process aid additives for all types of plastics, composites, rubbers, and urethanes.
AXEL is a privately held company soon to celebrate its 80th year in its third generation of family ownership and operation. The business is registered to the ISO 9001:2015 Quality System. The company and its products are fully compliant with REACH and major worldwide regulatory requirements. We are now in our fourth year at our new 40,000-square-foot facility in Monroe, CT.
At AXEL, you can make a difference and craft your career. That’s why you own your projects and take full responsibility from an early stage. Our unique brands and markets around the world open countless opportunities to follow your convictions and explore new paths. If you have an innovative mindset towards product development that allows you to always think out of the box – this could be the opportunity for you.
This is an active, standing role requiring some lifting and occasional exposure to noise and VOCs, and solvent-based mold release agents. PPE is provided for these activities.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title included in subject line.